Firmware Update Via WiFi

tico0248

Firmware Update Via WiFi

Post by tico0248 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:16 am

I know that normally you should only do firmware updates via a hard wire ethernet, but in my situation using WiFI is much easier. It is possible to do it via WiFi without a large risk of bricking the Autelis controller? So before I do something stupid, I want to check with the experts to ensure I can update the Autelis firmware via a WiFi connection.
autelis
Site Admin

Re: Firmware Update Via WiFi

Post by autelis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:57 am

If you have a reliable connection it should be fine, but yes in general wired is recommended.
Autelis.com Staff
tico0248

Post by tico0248 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks. I'll try it via WiFi as I do have a good connection.
kingwr

Post by kingwr » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:48 am

My experience is that, for whatever reason, when the Autelis Pool Control (APC) is connected via my Wi-Fi extender in the pump house, the firmware updates only make it half-way because the APC picks up a new IP address on reboot after the new core code is loaded, despite the DHCP reservation in my router. This may be because my router doesn't recognize that the IP address has been released in a timely fashion. This was not the case when I first installed it and had a temporary piece of CAT 5-E cable running across my pooldeck to the pump house.

Regardless, to install firmware updates via Wi-Fi, I find I have to install the update, find the new IP address of the device, and then reinstall to the new IP address selecting "Web Pages Only." I have used this process a number of times as I tried different versions of firmware to resolve a control issue.