HTTPS access via external website

HTTPS access via external website

Post by sabolcik » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:32 pm

i have been using my Autelis for several years now and really enjoy it. I recently integrated the Autelis in with my Alexa using the HTTP interface which has greatly expanded it usefulness in my house. While this was a fairly involved project one of the tasks that I wound up doing was installing a dedicated linux box in my home automation system to handle the alexa requests from the amazon cloud and redirect those requests to the Autelis on my local network.

Once I got to the point of having a dedicated web server I had to enable SSL encryption to get the Alexa cloud service to talk to the remote node. Alexa won't, to my knowledge, allow you to put a HTTP server as the target for an Alexa intent.

So I starting thinking "great now I have a full blown SSL protected WEB server, let me just reroute the HTTP packets from the Autelis on that web server so I can access my system remotely using HTTPS instead of HTTP." I have configured the WEB server to proxy_forward to the autelis on my network. My plan was to close port 80 on my router and only have port 443 open which is used for HTTPS.

I configured my nginx server to forward all access from HTTPS -> HTTP on the pool controller. This works but none of the status information is correct.

So for example if use:

HTTP:// this forwards to http://<autelis_IP>/ and works fine

If I use:

HTTPS:// this also forwards to http://<autelis_IP>/ allows me to login, shows a portion of the WEB interface but is flaky. I can see the pump on / off button for example, click on it to turn it on, hear the pump turn on, but the status information is messed up. On the equipment page it shows the first 2 buttons but not the remaining ones. I have read that proxy_forwarding works for GET requests like this but fails for POST requests. I thought all the HTTP access commands to the controller were GET so I thought it would work.

Anyone tried something like this? I think it would be very useful to close up the port 80 hole that I had blown up in the firewall and use HTTPS and SSL for all my remote access. Yeah, it's probably overkill but now I am stubbornly trying to make it happen. Any suggestions?